Anna dress V.1

P1040825

I am very cold in this picture…..it’s not warm enough for this dress yet….

I was so enthused by the success of my darling ranges dress  that I started my Anna straight away. I popped down to Dalston Mill to pick up some cheap fabric to make a practise version first. Unfortunately I accidentally came across some really special cottony fabric which was quite expensive (well as much as Dalston Mill is ever expensive) and I had to buy it! I’d been warned that the Anna dress can have a few fitting issues so I didn’t want to risk cutting into my pretty fabric straight away. I dug about in my fabric box and I found some cheap fabric I got over at Walthamstow market ages ago. It’s entirely inappropriate for Anna as it’s got a very busy pattern and I am far too lazy to bother with pattern matching…..plus its a light fabric but in wintery colours.  It was the only fabric that I had enough of so I decided that it would do.

I was very good with this pattern and I took the time to trace  off the pattern rather than just cutting it straight out. The pattern was super easy to follow and I didn’t run into any problems with it at all. As I got sewing I started to like the fabric more and more realised that it wasn’t quite such a hideous pattern after all!

P1040826

I have no idea why I’m pulling that face but I’m quite enjoying the picture!

For some reason I was feeling very well behaved and I actually hand sewed the sleeves. They look very pretty awesome even if I do say so myself!

I haven’t had the greatest success with invisible zips in the past. To improve my chances I decided to take the plunge and invest in an invisible zip foot. I found a cheap generic one online and it fits my machine perfectly.  I am very pleased with my purchase- it pretty much did all of the hard work for me. I still struggled a little bit with my pinning and tacking and it took me three goes to get it right but I got there in the end!

I’m really pleased with my dress, I think it’s even good enough to wear in public! As the fabric is cheap it’s not the most flattering to wear. It’s a little bit unforgiving and tends to cling a little more than would be ideal…..The fabric I’ve got for my final dress is thicker so fingers crossed  I won’t have that issue again.

I need to make a few alterations for the final version. I think I need to allow myself a bit more room at the waist. It’s nice to have the bodice properly fitted but it emphasises the size of my bum far more than I’d like at the moment! I’ll also make it a bit shorter – I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me when I was cutting out the pattern pieces that I should  check the length.

I am very excited about the final version of the dress!

About these ads

4 thoughts on “Anna dress V.1

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s