Several months ago I started to make the Colette Ginger Skirt. I like the style of the skirt and it looked to me like it would be flattering for a pear shaped girl like myself and also go with most things. I was also keen to try another Colette pattern as I really enjoyed making the Sorbetto.
I was very excited when I started. I got myself some lovely grey fabric and made a start at cutting it out. All was going well while I was sewing the seams and the waist band. Then came the zip….. I was very frightened of the invisible zip so I put the skirt back in the sewing pile until I worked up the courage.
This weekend I finally got started again. I put in a passable zip (thanks to this Colette tutorial). Technically the zip isn’t quite as ‘invisible’ as I might have liked but it’s in the skirt and looks alright so I gave myself a pat on the back and carried on.
When I tried the skirt on problems became apparent. There are several:
a) The fabric isn’t the best choice. It drapes nicely but it’s a little too clingy on the hips. My hips are not my best area so this is a very bad thing.
b) The waist band isn’t level all the way around. I’m not entirely sure how I’ve done that…
c) The waist band is too big. I have smaller waist than my hips so I should have anticipated that this would be a problem.
d) My under stitching is too far away from the seam making the top of the skirt bulky and emphasising the fact that it is too big.
I am feeling very grumpy about the whole thing as I suspect that most of the above problems aren’t fixable at this late stage (and with my limited sewing skills). I can’t help but think that there’s no point in finishing a skirt that I can never wear so I may have to abandon the whole thing. I hate giving up on project as it feels like a waste of time and money but I can’t imagine that I will drum up the enthusiasm and time to work on something I won’t wear.
I am doing my best to cheer myself up about the whole thing by focusing on the new skills I have learnt. I’ve (almost) figured invisible zips, attached a waist band and worked out how to make interfacing work.
That’s not really helping to cheer me up about it so here is a cute picture of Coco instead: