Emelie by Elin Berglund and hope for a blocking miracle…

It’s almost impossible to take a decent picture at the moment as it’s still raining in London. It’s been raining on and off since April…….

A few months ago now me and my Mum went along to a sewing show. While I was there I spotted 10 balls of Rowan cashsoft 4 ply on offer in a very wearable shade of green. Often the bags of wool that they decide to discount at that sort of thing (and indeed the sales….) can be of the eye hurting or  hideous variety so I was very pleased with my find.

I hunted around on Ravelry for a pattern that I liked, which would work out nicely with this wool, and I hit on Emelie by Elin Berglund. I like the combination of lace panel to keep my brain interested and stocking stitch to turn it off again!

I have to say that it’s not been the easiest pattern to read and I got quite confused with the instructions at the start of the lace panel and armhole decreases. I figured it out in the end but it made it a slightly more annoying experience.

Here it is before I picked up the stitches for the first arm-  sorry for the blurry photo! 

I’m a bit worried about how this project is going to turn out. Firstly I suspect that it is going to be too small width wise. This is totally my own fault as I didn’t do a gauge swatch (bad habit I never do!) and made a slightly random guess based on the measurements given and the looseness of my knitting. I tried it on when I sewed up the shoulders and it was looking a snug fit! I am trying to imagine it with the lace blocked out to size and the button band picked up but I’m worried that it is going to be a bit stretched when buttoned up and falling oddly when undone. As I tend not to do my cardigans up this would be a bit of a disaster.

To make matters worse I accidentally did an extra decrease on the waist. I didn’t notice until the final increase for the bust and by that point I couldn’t bring myself to undo it. Then, to add insult to injury, I did a fairly questionable job on picked up the stitches for the sleeves.

All in all I’m going to need a blocking miracle! It’s going to need to magically stretch the lace right out by several inches, increase the size of the back  (without making it any longer) and also make the sleeves look neater. I’m a little doubtful that will actually happen by I’m going to plough on and finish it with my fingers crossed and make a very wide button band just in case!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s