Because I haven’t been able to knit much lately I’ve spent a bit more time on my sewing than normal (well a lot more- I am rather slack with my sewing) as a result I have almost finished my Peony dress!
I am so pleased! This is the first dress I’ve made with a bodice that needs attaching to the skirt (and I made a smaller size for the top than the bottom) plus it’s only my second ever invisible zip so it could have gone horribly wrong but it’s totally wearable. I went for a longer length as I have lots of short dresses and I’d like a few longer ones for when I’m feeling more demure (or indeed hairier).
Of course it isn’t perfect. In a few places you can see where I need to improve my technique; the hem isn’t quite straight, the zip isn’t quite as invisible as I’d like and it could be lye flatter, the gathers could be more even and it could have done with a little bit of adjustment for my shape.
Here’s what I’d change:
- I’d make the waist area a little smaller. I thought that it was going to be too small but actually the waist is pretty big on me. Obviously this is better than being too small but as it’s a little big it a tad unflattering on the tummy area.
- I’d use less stretchy fabric. This one is only a little bit stretchy but that means it can sit a little oddly if it stretches over.
- I’d work out why the neckline sticks out a bit at the back and fix it.
- I’d move the pockets forward and up. At the moment the pockets are a slightly towards the back and I’m not sure why.
- I’d take some length out of the bodice at the waist. I’m pretty short and I think it sits a little low.
- I’d narrow the neckline. It’s a little too wide for me. I suspect I may have narrow shoulders.
I still need to make the belt so we’ll see what it looks like with that but for the moment I’m thrilled!