Before Christmas I made a start on a Beatnik by Norah Gaughan. I’m using Garnstudio DROPS Nepal which I got for £1.50 a ball from The Crochet Chain which was an awesome bargain. Also the pattern is free on Knitty so I didn’t have to pay for that either (not that patterns are hugely expensive).
Quite a few of my knitter friends have either made it or are in the process of making it. Plus, I like the 60s styling and it looks super warm so I thought I’d give it a go.
I’m loving the colour and the wool but its taking me forever to finish making this….. I think it’s mainly the cables. In general I don’t mind cables especially when they are repetitive and I don’t have to keep checking the instructions. I think that’s because I am lazy and also its annoying to have to carry the pattern about with me all the time and try to balance it on my knee when I’m knitting.
For some reason this pattern only has a chart for the cables and I really don’t like charts. I much prefer written instructions (Maybe everyone else really likes them and it’s just me? ). I’m not entirely sure why I don’t get on with them…..I think it’s all the checking keys and remembering to read it from right to left and then left to right..Far too much hard work for my liking! This chart has caused my little brain particular confusion as the instructions that go with the key are actually on a different page which means I have to be able to see both at the same time (so two bits of paper balanced on my knee). Also you actually have to pay attention to the wrong side rows rather than just lazily purling which you usually get away with on a cable pattern. There are also a lot of symbols which are only slightly different from each other and that means I don’t seem to be able to remember any of the symbols (other than knit obviously).
To try to make it simpler I colour coded the chart, the key and the instructions with various coloured pens. This was working pretty well until I ran out of pens and I had to start using symbols (which has proved a little confusing.). With my little colour coding system things are a little easier to follow and I’ve made quite a bit of progress. Yesterday I was talking to a friend about it and she mentioned that she’s seen a colour coded version. So I looked again at the pattern and felt a bit of an idiot when I realised that there is indeed a colour coded version on the pattern….. However it was heartening that the editor put it together as she was also in need of some extra help! If you’re starting to make the pattern I suggest that you use it!
I’ve finished the back and I’m three quarters of the way along the front. As you can see the cable pattern is looking lovely and is well worth all of the effort! The jumper is looking a little long and the cables are super stretchy so I am hoping that my giant knitting isn’t striking again! If that does happen it shouldn’t be that bad with this jumper as it will still look nice a bit baggy where as it would look pretty bad if it was too small (emphasising every bit of cake that I consume!).
All I need to do now is finish the front and make the nice easy moss stitch arms and then I’m finished (probably just in time for the weather to turn warmer which will serve me right for making it so slowly!)