I wear A LOT of jersey. It makes up the bulk of my tops. However I’ve always been too frightened to have a go at sewing with it. I’ve been convinced that it would be super hard and end up looking rubbish. I had my mind changed when I was staying with my lovely friend Dani who was telling me how easy it was and showing me some of the awesome things she’d made. She was so keen for me to give it a go she gave me her pattern!
When I got back to London I dashed over to trusty old Dalston Mill for some fabric. I found the most amazing bright yellowy green. I’m normally quite boring with my colour selection (grey, brown, cream….) but for some reason I was really drawn to this one. I think it might be because I’d been looking at the Grainline Hemlock Tee just before I left the house. To go with the yellow I went for grey, I really love grey…
As I was just borrowing the pattern it would have been rude to amend it for myself so I traced it off instead. This turned out to be easier said than done. I’ve always used good old fashioned greaseproof paper for tracing patterns in the past. However, since baking has got all popular all the products have got fancier…..and the fancy new greaseproof paper will not stick to sellotape no matter how hard you try! I spent rather a lot of time trying to stick bits back together and work out where everything was supposed to go….
If I’m totally honest my cutting out for this pattern was a little slap dash. We don’t have a table big enough to cut things out on (well we sort of do but it’s covered in stuff) so I had to cut the pattern out on the floor. My crappy arthritic knees don’t like it when I’m crawling about on the wooden floor so I ended up hurrying a bit to get it over with. Maybe I need some sort of a kneeler (or to actually clear the table)!
The fabric was lovely to work with and super soft. It was pretty easy to sew with (once I found the stretch stitch on my machine). I had to keep a pretty close eye on the stitches because somewhere between the machine and the fabric there was a tendency to get all knotted up and leave a huge hole.
I really like the effect of the two colours. Although I got super confused about what should go where when I was sewing together. I spent quite a long time pinning various bits to other bits to try and work out what to do. Vogue could really do with some clearer pictures in their patterns!
Because I am lazy I decided to see what would happen if I used bias binding for the neck rather than doing it out of jersey. I do love bias binding and I thought the colour looked good with the grey and the yellow. As you can see from the pictures it didn’t quite work out….. It’s one of those things that it totally obvious really; a stretchy fabric + a non stretchy binding = one stretched out neckline…. I decided that this is going to be a design feature and I’ll just wear it off my shoulders. I’m going to pretend I did it on purpose!
I really like this top. It’s a bit long (I couldn’t work out how the bits would fit together so I couldn’t shorten it) but that makes it a very good top for yoga and the brightness makes it even better for cycling to yoga. I think I’ll make another one probably shorter and wider but first I’m going to make a Grainline Hemlock Tee out of my leftover jersey (fingers crossed I have enough). I love a free pattern!