Antler by Ankestrick

P1040830

I think I might be getting a bit obsessed with a yellow and grey combo. I started off with the first hemlock tee I made  and I’ve moved onto a yellow and grey Antler. I am very pleased with this jumper. I was excited about it from the moment that I started knitting it and the finished garment hasn’t disappointed.

I used Garnstudio DROPS Baby Merino which was reasonably priced and lovely to work with. I’m used to working with much hairier wools so it was a bit of a shock to go back to a yarn with such clear stitch definition. It doesn’t leave much room for error! 

The pattern was easy to follow and I didn’t fun into any problems at all. Highly recommended.

Advertisements

Is it a jumper or is it a dress….

P1040010

As you can tell it’s snowing in London today!

If you’ve read my blog before you might have have noticed that there tends to me a certain theme with my hand knits: they always turn out bigger than they should do. You would think that I would have taken on board my incredibly loose tension and started to make gauge swatches and changing my wool and needle size accordingly like a good knitter should…… But no,  a combination of laziness and excitement to start means that never ever happens. Instead, what I do is go down a needle size or so (depending on the needles I can find lingering around the front room that haven’t yet been chewed up by our bunny) then have a guess and sort of see how it turns out.  Because I have arthritis in my hands I try to keep the weave pretty open anyway as tight knitting is much tougher on my hands (and leads to have to stop knitting for a few days which is no fun at all). This slap-dash approach, combined with the fact that I’m pretty short, can sometimes yield questionable results and enormous clothing…..

Luckily for me I tend to go for baggy stuff and so it doesn’t cause too much of a problem but every now and again things come out too big even for me…….This jumper is a case in point. It is enormous! It’s almost more of a dress that a jumper and given the width it could certainly double as maternity wear…..

I decided to make it on a bit of a whim. I was waiting for a wool delivery before I could start my Beatnik and I had a couple of balls of Garnstudio DROPS Alpaca left over from my awesome Boxy jumper. I had various other bits of Drops in other colours for the neckband and the sleeves and I was impatient to be knitting something (I really don’t like not having anything to knit). I thought the simplicity would be a good antidote to the cables in Beatnik.

I encountered my first problem while I was trying to buy the pattern. For a start it was $7.00 (I thought it would be too depressing to convert it to sterling)…. For that money you’d expect a pretty detail pattern which downloads straight away, right?  Wrong….. I had to wait a full 24 hours for the pattern to be available for download and then when I finally got it I was 2 pages. I one page of which was a picture! So, $7.00 for one page of pretty vague instructions! I am still a little annoyed about this as you can tell….

P1040025

Luckily the odds and ends of Drops I had lying around go together pretty well.

It’s a really easy jumper to make. You knit the yoke first from the bottom up on smaller needles and then pick up the stitches along the bottom. It’s a weird kind of raglan as you do all of the increases straight away at the top. That gives you the drapey pleats but also it gives you loads of stitches…… I imagine if you actually had the right gauge it would look pretty nice.

I’m not entirely sure if I like this top yet. As well as being massive there’s a pretty noticeable colour change where I switch dye lots about a quarter of the way down the top. Also I’m not really keen on the kind of empire line style and it feels like there’s too much fabric at the bottom. The neckline is also pretty wide…

On the plus side it’s really warm and I still love the colour (which is lucky as I now have two jumper in this shade). It’s also going to be awesome for days when I feel a bit tubby or intend to do a lot of eating. I’m really hoping it will grow on me!

Hélène by Veronik Avery – Finished

My Hélène by Veronik Avery is finished!

I think my hopes for this one were slightly too high….I was really excited about it and was sure that it was going to be a new favourite. Now it’s all sewn up I’m really not sure about it.

Knitting the front and back wasn’t too bad (although it was fiddly to get them to match exactly) but it was a total pain to sew up. I messed up the shoulder seams and had to do them a couple of times. In the end I did the three needle bind off the wrong way around which seemed like a good idea at the time but now I think looks a little odd and bulky.

Another dubious picture taken in the mirror with my messy bedroom in the background I'm afraid.....

In the end I just wanted to get it finished so I rushed through the final sewing up. I picked up too many stitches on the neckline so it’s quite baggy. It was a little too baggy to stay on my shoulders so I had to stitch up the sides for half an inch or so. I tried to be neat but it looks a little messy…..

On the plus side I love pattern on the jumper and the wool……