I have finished my Breckon! I am very pleased with it indeed! I love the colour, I love the wool and I think the lace has come out very well.
I wasn’t quite sure about the buttons when I was first sewing them on. I thought that they looked a bit small given the size of the button band. However now it’s all finished and blocked I think they look great! I really like wooden buttons and think they go particularly well with the felted tweed wool.
On the whole the pattern was pretty simple to follow. The lace repeat was easy to remember so I was able to stop looking at the pattern fairly quickly. The instructions for the button hole and button band were a bit of a pain though. Rather than specifying exactly where the button holes should be placed the instructions were really vague and meant I had to spend an annoying amount of time counting rows and measuring stuff and moving things about (I went for roughly every 17 rows). I think the spacing worked out alright but it was not the most fun evening I have ever had! I ignored the fancy button band bind-off as I am lazy. Instead I opted for a normal loose bind off which seems to be okay.
The cardigan doesn’t really go with what I’m wearing in this picture but I was super keen to blog about it but too lazy to get changed for a picture (especially a slightly questionable one taken in the mirror! ).
As with almost everything I make it has turned out rather huge. I suspected that it might when I was making it. I think that the reason why I’ve never started bothering to try and prevented my knitted items being on the big side is that I don’t mind my clothes baggy. I’d much rather something was too big than too small! The sleeves are the only really big problem as they are massively long! I’m going to have to turn over the cuff which makes me feel a bit like a child in a school jumper they need to ‘grow into’. I’m hoping that no-one will notice though!
It look a bit like the hem is uneven in this picture but it isn’t really I promise!
I’ve finished my Larch Cardigan by Amy Christoffers. I am very pleased with it indeed. So pleased in fact that I was happy to wear it for pictures on a day that is far too hot to need a cardy (I took it off straight afterwards).
I used Garnstudio DROPS Alpaca for this pattern and once again I loved it. It’s cheaper than most other alpaca, lovely to knit with and really soft to wear. I used some of the wool I had left over from making my Bridgewater Blanket which felt like another money saving. I really like the colour and think it’s great for a summer cardigan.
I used 3.5mm needles for a lovely open fabric. I really like the way this has turned out in the final cardigan. It was a little tricky with the bind-offs as I had to make them really loose to stop the fabric from puckering around a really tight bind-off. Before blocking it looked a bit dodgy where I’d cast off around the neckline (before picking up the stitches) but now it looks fine.
If I was making it again I would add on little pockets like annabear2005 has done here. I think it looks really cool and I love pockets. However, it’s too late for that now so my only option is patch pockets. I have a little bit off wool left so I might give it a go.
As you can see I haven’t put any buttons on yet and I’m not sure if I will. I tend to think that buttons just at the top emphasise your tummy and highlight any sign of a gut (this would particularly bad after lots of cake and I am very partial to cake).
The pattern was really well written and easy to follow and over all this was a very simple knit. Picking up the stitches for the collar was a bit annoying but I got into the rhythm of it in the end. It took me a little while to figure out that I needed to stop picking up stitches at the end of the curve before the straight cast off stitches. The twisted rib became very tedious in the end but it looks nice so it was worth it.
All in all I am very pleased!
While I’m fiddling around with lace and counting repeats with my Hélène by Veronik Avery I need a simple project when my brain needs a break. The Larch Cardigan by Amy Christoffers fits the bill perfectly.
I”m making it with Garnstudio DROPS Alpaca in grey. I’ve used the exact same wool and in the exact same colour before and I really liked it so I’ve decided to use it again. I’m after a really loose fabric so I’ve used 3.5mm needles.
I’m very please with progress so far and I’m very excited about finishing it!